Amanda’s Law goes into effect today, Monday, February 22, 2010. This New York State law requires carbon monoxide detectors/alarms to be installed in all new and existing one and two family homes, multifamily homes and rentals with fuel burning appliances, systems or attached garages.
Carbon monoxide can’t be detected by sight or smell as it is a highly toxic gas that is colorless, odorless and tasteless. This new law is named after Amanda Hansen, a Buffalo, NY teenager who died from carbon monoxide poisoning in January 2009. A carbon monoxide detector could have saved her life. These detectors should be installed near bedrooms, common gathering areas and close to any appliances that could produce the toxin.
Make sure your home is in compliance - install carbon monoxide detectors today.