Architecturally, the Hudson Valley is something a living history museum. Unlike in other corners of the country where an early 19th century building might be stuffed-and-mounted with a turnstile, antique structures are hardly a rarity here, with the vast majority of them still working for a living. They're an indelible part of daily lives here in our communities north of New York City, providing a sense of place and challenging our creativity to create context for their continued relevance.
One of these local treasures is The Maples, an 1833 Greek Revival home in the historic Dutchess County village of Rhinebeck. Located at 108 Montgomery Street, the two-story residence is best known as the resident of William Astor, whose son, John Jacob, grew up on the site. Added to the National Register in 1987, the landmarked structure has most recently served as medical offices. Houlihan Lawrence Commercial Group is now charged with helping start its next chapter.
The two-story main residence sits atop a fieldstone foundation, flanked by a flat-roofed front porch with bracketed cornices. Stepping inside, the original period detailing is immediately evident in the center hall and lower level parlor. A winding three story staircase ascends to upper level offices, which fill both the original structure and a more recent addition. In its present configuration, there are 23 rooms, including three reception lobbies, four bathrooms and a kitchenette. The 1.7 acre property includes 34 parking spaces.
While its proximity to neighboring Northern Dutchess Hospital makes it ideal for medical offices, it can be adapted for myriad uses, including conversion back to a private residence.